Depression, regardless of the cause, can be treated by medication, exercise, sleep and many types of therapy. However, one of the easiest ways to manage the symptoms of depression is with a healthy diet. It has been demonstrated that certain foods can boost the mind and mood, altering and even curing the effects of depression on the brain and body. When suffering from depression, it is common to consume junk food but this does not help this situation. It is very important to fight this urge as it will cause more problems later on. Instead, choose foods that will help cure your depression and restore a healthy mood.
10 Foods that help to cure depression
Here are ten foods that have been proved to help cure depression. These foods all have specific characteristics that will successfully battle your depression and lift your spirits.
1. Quinoa. Quinoa is a complex carbohydrate and is filled with protein which keeps the blood sugar and energy levels holding steady. Eating this food prevents blood sugar spikes which can make you irritable and unfocused.
2. Milk. Surprisingly, milk can battle the effects of depression. This is due to the fact that cow’s milk is rich in Calcium and contains much needed Omega-3 fatty acids. The fatter the milk content, the better it is for your mood.
3. Berries. Berries, such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, can help prevent the release of cortisol which is a hormone produced by the adrenal gland. Cortisol will help keep your head straight and moods level. Eating berries in the morning can help you start the day right.
4. Leafy Green Vegetables. Leafy greens are high in folic acid which can drastically boost your mood. The human body uses folic acid to create serotonin which is a neurotransmitter or ‘feel good’ hormone that affects mood.
5. Turkey. Turkey is rich in protein and contains high amounts of amino acids that are called Tyrosine. Tyrosine boosts levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain so you feel more alert and focused.
More Foods to cure depression naturally
6. Walnuts. Walnuts are another great food because, like fish, are high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Not only are fatty acids beneficial for your health but it has been proven that a lack of fatty acids in the human body can lead to depression.
7. Dark Chocolate. The higher the cocoa content, the better your mood can improve. It is believed that dark chocolate can cure depression due to the fact that cocoa boosts the production of phenylalanine. This is the chemical believed to boost dopamine levels in the brain which helps by blocking different types of pain.
8. Cottage Cheese. This dairy product is a great source of amino acid and tryptophan. Cottage cheese helps fight stress and promotes relaxation. A more relaxed feeling instantly boosts mood. The protein levels in cottage cheese can also increase energy levels which can chase away the blues.
9. Bananas. This tropical wonder fruit is filled with magnesium and vitamin B6 as well as potassium. B6 is especially helpful with issues involving mood and energy.
10. Probiotic Yogurt. Probiotic yogurt contains the bacteria lactobacillus rhamnosus which helps reduce anxiety levels. As the body chases away that anxious mood, your depression may also disappear. With a healthy diet, not only you can maintain your overall health but you can also cure depression. Eating the right foods can, in most cases, help prevent the apparition of depression and replace negative feelings such as anxiety, stress, and nervousness with feelings that will chase away all sadness.