Whether you are out of cough medication or simply would rather use a natural remedy, there are many food items around your home that can help you get rid of that nasty cough.
Use the 10 effective home remedies for a cough listed below to help you beat the cough without going to the drug store. Pass these tips along to your friends and family so that they, too, can benefit from these home remedies.
Home Remedies for Cough
Source – 54851534@N06
- Onions and honey. Mix a teaspoon of a juice from an onion with a teaspoon of honey. Allow the concoction to sit for 4 to 5 hours and you will have your very own cough syrup to help you get rid of your cough.
- Turmeric and Milk. For this home remedy, mix ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder into ¼ cup of warm milk. Drink it at least 3 times a day to see the most relief from excessive coughing.
- Garlic. While this potent product won’t leave you with fresh breath, it can do wonders for a cough. In a half of cup of boiling water, combine a roughly chopped lemon half, one large chopped garlic clove, and a teaspoon of honey. Drinking this warm mixture will help sooth your cough and also begin the healing process.
- Cayenne Pepper. While this concoction won’t taste very good, it has proven beneficial time and time again in relieving a persistent cough. Combine ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of water. 2-3 teaspoons of this concoction will have you feeling better in no time and will help you give the much needed rest that is required to fully get over the cough.
- Vitamin C. When looking for relief from a severe cough, it is important that you give your immune system a boost. This can be done by eating plenty of fruits that are high in vitamin C such as oranges and grapefruit. It can also be beneficial to take over the counter Vitamin C pills.
- Oregano. Boil a cup of water and add in oregano. Allow to boil for about a minute and then drain the oregano. This concoction is known to help get rid of phlegm that is built up in the chest and can cause coughing.
- Organic almost paste and honey. This inexpensive home remedy will quickly help get rid of your cough. The honey will make it taste better. Take a teaspoon of this mixture at least 3 to 4 times a day to get fast relief from your cough and to help cure it.
- Green Tea. A nice, warm cup of green tea with 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp of lemon juice, and 1 tsp of honey added will provide relief from a dry, persistent cough. Drink this warm mixture when the coughing just doesn’t seem to stop. Drinking it before bedtime will help you get a better night of rest.
- Steam Therapy. Consider taking a hot, steamy shower to help open up the bronchiole tubes and lessen your cough. Adding a teaspoon of Vicks Vapor Rubs to boiling water will have even more benefits. Hold you head over the steam water but be cautious of the hot boiling water!
- Sit in the moist, night air. To help moisten the bronchiole tubes you may also consider going for a night walk or sitting outside for a while. Breathing the night air will help reduce your cough. You may even consider sleeping with your window open. Similarly, you can use a home humidifier to help moisten the air in your home.
Listed above are 10 effective home remedies to help relieve your cough. If your cough seems to get worse or persists for more than a week, it may be beneficial to visit your doctor. If you have an infection, home remedies may not work. However, if it’s a dry cough, use the tips listed above to help you find the relief that you need to get a good night’s rest. Are you willing to give these home remedies a try?
About the Guest Blogger – Sarah is a freelance writer working for an online stylish canes store http://www.1001walkingcanes.com/ where you can shop for designer canes and get information about latest trends in walking canes industry.